Author Topic: Hello from Hertfordshire  (Read 2127 times)

Offline StKi1da

+Info

Hello from Hertfordshire
« on: October 22, 2014, 01:27:41 PM »
Hi.

So I came here from Ultimatereef.net.   I'll get downa  nd read the posts etc - so forgive me if I ask questinos that I haven't found the answer yet to!

I have just got a Raspberry Pi B+ and very impressed with the range of support and directions for the python challenged (like myself).  Just a few days into the project and what I have got working is the wifi to my router,  a digital temp sensor and a webcam - both publishing to a website with some natty little graphics based on the rpi-monitor code provided here http://rpi-experiences.blogspot.co.uk/ and an mjpg streamer for the webcam (I plan to merge the two if I can figure out how).  Took a while to pout all the bits of code together as no-one ever seems to include *all* the steps even when they claim to!  Once I have got it installed into the tank I will post the link here and some more detauil about what I did (if peoples are interested in that bit)

I'd add that really I am just adapting what others have already written - as I cannot code at all - just simply amend to point to other places and execute commands etc.  More than willing for others to "instruct" me to improve it.

I'd like to add in ATU control and monitoring, as for me, it's all well and good monitoring stuff - but it's only worth measuring if it will trigger you to do something - hence why pH may be measurable - but do we really do anything based on the readings?  Salinity and ATU control would be very useful, as would dKH and calcium reactor control (I use a D+D reactor on timer rather than pH control).

Where are people with  Salinity?  Is there a reasonably priced probe to measure that?  I'm guessing dKH or other elements are beyond capability of probes just yet?

Cheers

StKilda

Offline cio74

• Administrator

+Info

Re: Hello from Hertfordshire
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 02:34:25 PM »
Hello and welcome :)

http://www.vernier.com/products/sensors/sal-bta/ looks quite expensive

About other parameters to be measured, most can be done by colour changing of a reactive substance. It's an interesting thing to try to automate.

Offline perkint

+Info

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 12:06:17 AM »
Hello and welcome,

This project is still being developed, but there are lots of ideas and more input is always welcome. It is an open forum so feel free to browse and comment as you like, or even just add further thoughts and comments here - you'll get a friendly response :)

Tim

Offline promazine

• Administrator

+Info

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 03:41:40 PM »
Welcome aboard :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank......