Author Topic: Hello from dentex!  (Read 2096 times)

Offline dentex

+Info

• dentex's Blog
Hello from dentex!
« on: November 13, 2014, 10:12:54 AM »
Hello guys!
Just registered (yesterday) to this really promising forum. I'm sure I will learn a lot from you and I'll try to give all possible help.

I'm from Italy, 38.
I'm an ATCO for a living, Biology graduated (never employed) and some other things for passion.
I.e. MTB rider, Android programmer (I will be glad to throw a couple of links to my blog in any "unrelated" or "off topic" forum section), technology enthusiast, avid Linux user/lerner and, recently, freshwater aquarium passionate and electronic/hardware newbie.

In relation to the last things, I've picked up the opportunity to link various interests in one single goal: realize an aquarium controller with my Raspberry Pi, that I had around for years just doing some network stuff remotely (I've been one of the first to order and receive an earlier model B).
So I got my hands dirt and started to build something simple. For the curious, this is a quick link to my project on GitHub: https://github.com/dentex/piac . I think I'll open a thread anyway.

I didn't have the time to read enough threads to know exactly at what level of realization this project is, but I'll try to catch up right away.

See you around!
Samuele.
_dentex_

Offline Bigguy

• Administrator

+Info

• Large Fat and Ugley
    • ReefPI
Re: Hello from dentex!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 10:47:43 AM »
Hi Samuele
Wellcome and feel free to comment help we are in need of software side help
Simon

Offline dentex

+Info

• dentex's Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 11:07:45 AM »
Thanks.
I can do some Java programming (Android only, since now) and general Bash scripting (nothing special or advanced, though; it's what I used for my project), but I'll try to help where I can.
I really like this project.
Do you have any link to other threads, to some more info for me to take a look?
_dentex_

Offline cio74

• Administrator

+Info

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 10:28:32 PM »
Hello and welcome.

It's a very good moment to join as we mostly lack enthusiasts on the software side of things. As we speak I am designing with Abed the WebUi, that's it, the web interface that allows to add all the hardware modules, all the schedules and alarms.

I have seen you have used crontab, this is what we have planned as well. If you have previous experience with Linux it could be very useful. We do a PHP web interface for the rPi where we add all the hardware modules, and setup running schedules and alarms. This is pretty much done, apart from alarms we have already completed the rest. One version will come shortly online for review.

However, we need to parse a MySQL database and extract device properties, formulate BUS orientated command and send them over at a specific time, by using cron tab. This is where Linux skills in scheduling cron jobs and bash scripting can be extremely useful.

Please feel free to start some topics or comment one existing ones, I'd provide my feedback from a hardware perspective.

Offline promazine

• Administrator

+Info

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 09:16:04 PM »
Hi Dentex - good to have you on board :) welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank......