Author Topic: Hello from Austin, TX: Reefpi for Greenhouse Vivarium  (Read 6710 times)

Offline ChrisATX

+Info

Hello from Austin, TX: Reefpi for Greenhouse Vivarium
« on: January 25, 2015, 06:17:39 PM »
Hi all!

Thanks for going through the issues to let me join the site.

I've been reef keeping since 1999, and used to be the coral curator at Mote Marine Laboratory. Now I just grow corals for research purposes.

I'm also a serious collector of orchid species from Malesiana and Melanesia. I grow in an indoor greenhouse, as many of the species are small. The lighting is provided by a 400 watt Ushio 10,000k SE metal halide. I use an Adda waterproof fan to force ventilation and exchange air at set intervals. I use a cool mist humidifier to maintain humidity at 70% or above. I water with a MistKing system and heat with Flexwatt heat strips. All of this is "controlled" by a rage-inducing excuse for garbage Digital Aquatics controller.

I am building an LED system to replace the

I have a Raspberry Pi, and a basic understanding of electronics (I am an isotope ratio mass spectrometer technician), but a woefully pathetic knowledge and understanding of programming, but I am keen to build it into a controller. The needs are remarkably similar to those demanded of a reef controller, so this site is more perfect than you might expect!

My main desire is worldwide access/control/monitoring. Many of these orchids are borderline irreplaceable. The Digital Aquatics unit has been pathetic on all fronts. I use an Apex at work, but want a custom build for the tank at home.

Here are some pics:

Offline Bigguy

• Administrator

+Info

• Large Fat and Ugley
    • ReefPI
Re: Hello from Austin, TX: Reefpi for Greenhouse Vivarium
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 06:33:57 PM »
Hi Chris
Welcome and no problem we have been getting spammed so have had to suspend registration but if you know somebody who want to join just pm me the details i will add them
welcome to the site
Simon

Offline cio74

• Administrator

+Info

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 07:16:47 PM »
Hello Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

For some reason it seems your job is more difficult than maintaining  a reef aquarium, or what most believe its;r equired for an aquarium :)

If you could explain the issues you are currently experiencing and the desired goal I could give you more detaisl about what we intend to do and how much the lines cross.

Best,
Cornell

Offline ChrisATX

+Info

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 08:04:19 PM »
Thank you both!

For lighting, I'm planning to go with  4 x Cree XM-L driven at 4 amps, so four LDD-1000hw drivers wired in parallel. Then 3 x 405nm, 3 x 410 nm, and 3 x 430 nm driven by a LDD-500hw.

I'd love to have these dimmable for both seasonal light changes as well as timed for 1. sunrise, 2. sunset, 3. dimmed for afternoons where it gets cloudy and stormy where these plants are from.

If I could do seasonal day lengths as well, that would be amazing.

Second, the ventilation fan is easy. It just needs a relay and timed to run for 10 minutes every hour.

Third, The humidifier is not going to be controlled by humidity input, just a timer. However, I would love to hack the dial control on the front and make it go from just humidifying the tank (where the dial control is set very low), to full on fog/cloud forest (dial control all the way up). I'm guessing the dial control is just a simple potentiometer. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31xz8OpJfOL._SY300_.jpg

Fourth, The heating relay needs to be controlled by a good thermistor/thermocouple input. It needs to have a hysteresis, as well as the ability to to do day temperature setpoint and a night temperature setpoint.

Fifth, The MistKing is easy, just needs to be on a relay so that it runs twice a day for a minute a piece. I'd love to do something fun with it, random times, etc.

For monitoring, I want to be able to log and plot temperature from the warm side and cool side of the tank. I want to log and monitor humidity, as well as state of LEDs and humidifier.

I'd like to be able to access these plots and device states remotely, from phone or web, as well as have alarms for high temp, etc. that text me.

I know, this is all probably dreaming big, but hey, why not. Gotta start somewhere.

Offline perkint

+Info

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 01:33:40 AM »
Wow!! Don't hesitate to dive straight in, will you!!! :)

I have read your post, but personally, could do with a bit more of a breakdown of what you need.

Before i carry on, XML at 4A? They have a max of 3A?

So you want LED control with weather and seasonal variations.
Ventilation fan control (on and off, time based)
Humidifer control that is time based but with a manual override.
Heater control based on different temperatures for different times of day.
Mistking (what's that, a water spray?) based on timer with some random input (configurable as to bow often the "random" happens).

And then you want logging from multiple temp probes, humidity, LED status and status of pretty much everything that is switched by the controller.

And then, the only difficult bit (but what RPi is all about), you want to access that on the web.

Have i read that right?

Tim

Offline ChrisATX

+Info

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 04:53:10 AM »
Ah yes, sorry, 3 Amps.

Otherwise you've read it all correctly! The MistKing is simply a quality pressure diaphragm pump (e.g., RO/DI pump) It will work off a standard outlet relay.

Thank you!