Author Topic: Where are we?  (Read 32094 times)

Offline perkint

+Info

Where are we?
« on: January 29, 2015, 01:13:39 AM »
Hi guys,

It's been a while since there were any updates on here! The LED driver board and controller board have both been updated, but they seem a bit redundant without the critical bit - software to actually run it all! Running some LEDs and a few control systems is easy using the arduino, the reefPi project's killer function is the UI and 'net links :)

I know there was some good initial progress done, but where do we stand now?

Tim

Offline cio74

• Administrator

+Info

Re: Where are we?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 11:11:12 PM »
To my knowledge no one is writing software at the moment.

Offline jimbob

+Info

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 02:56:53 PM »
so is this project dead.. :'(
nuthen here

Offline cio74

• Administrator

+Info

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 04:35:55 PM »
Not at all, but I would have to write the software as well. The idea was to have people involved but if there is no one to do so I shall sacrifice  :)

Also, Cris wants to write the wiki section, we may eventually progress.

Offline smudge

+Info

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 11:41:09 PM »
I wish I could help more with the software side of things but unfortunately that's not my forté

Offline jimbob

+Info

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 06:36:34 PM »
i am just a copy paste kinda guy lol i wish i could be more help..
i am learning though.
nuthen here

Offline matt20687

• Administrator

+Info

• Control your aquarium with a ReefPi!!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 06:38:30 PM »
Hello,

I am happy to work on some software dev, it will take a bit longer as I will need to learn but I hope I can help.

Would anyone want to learn with me?

Where did we get to? Did we get the basic UI done? Agree on code?

Matt
You want more pie? Have some ReefPi!!!
--------------
Matt

Offline jimbob

+Info

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 12:50:59 PM »
take a look at this, program the pi with blocks
https://projects.wyliodrin.com/
nuthen here

Offline cio74

• Administrator

+Info

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 07:31:11 PM »
After a very long waiting period of time with not even the slim support from the 3rd parties I think I may take this project into a closed source instead of open source.

Sorry, I can't think of any other alternative.

Offline smudge

+Info

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 01:46:23 AM »
I can't say the same for everyone but for me,
Enthusiasm is there, unfortunately the ability isn't, I wish that there was more I could do to help but, I can't do code. I've tried. I have my 3rd child due in the next week so can't promise any help for a while but it would be a shame for the project to go closed source after the initial push. I think a round up of the key people could get this back on track. Up to yet, looking from the outside in, it does appear that Cornel has put more effort in than most especially on the hardware side of things and if someone could put half the effort as he has into the software side of things, then a great package could be born. If anyone could step up with the ability and drive to help on the software side then I think it would be for the benefit of us all

Offline cio74

• Administrator

+Info

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 01:23:14 PM »
That's correct but to see it done I may just have to pay a developer to do the software thing. That was not the original idea but in more than 1 year there is pretty much no progress at all.

So all in one if we want to see something happening is either

1. Someone from the forum to do the software
2. Pay someone from the outside

It's not that someone has tried and failed, it's like no one really did much about it.

I think I'll just pay someone to get things started, don't think anyone will step up to do it.

Offline perkint

+Info

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 10:27:47 PM »
I have been PMd by someone on reef central who is willing to help with the software. I've PMd BigGuy about him joining.

My problem with the coding is that, although I can code, my only experience is with the sort of coding style used on the arduino (ie linear basic with no OOD), not web coding or RPi. I do want to learn and will be doing, but it could still be a long way before I could take on a project like this. Help maintain it? Yeah, easy. Code it from scratch? Not a chance, at the mo.

There was a lot of development being done, till the falling out which ended up with the only active coders leaving the project.

But, I have to say - I'm not interested in a closed source project. Sorry but it just kills my interest in one go.

Tim

Offline cio74

• Administrator

+Info

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 09:48:43 AM »
It's kind of difficult to make a web project closed source especially when using a raspberry pi board.

That software development was not tested nor used, although everyone involved by that time could have got a board and a few modules.

Offline perkint

+Info

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 09:31:16 PM »
It's kind of difficult to make a web project closed source especially when using a raspberry pi board.

That software development was not tested nor used, although everyone involved by that time could have got a board and a few modules.
I don't understand either of those points. You say it's hard to make a closed source project, but that is what you suggested?

And as for the second part, of course it was not fully tested as it wasn't fully coded! But it was being tested (unit) as they went along and they were developing the UI which is meant to be platform independent, so whether they had RPi or not seems a bit moot!

As said, sorry but I don't understand what you were trying to say at all!

Tim

Offline cio74

• Administrator

+Info

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 12:02:01 AM »
The idea of making it closed source is not paired with a raspberry pi board, licensing issues.

If what they did was so good why not someone else carry on, sources are somewhere on google drive or similar.

It's no point arguing whatever was done or not, looking at the present and ahead someone else has to start over.