Author Topic: Site Logo  (Read 26084 times)

Offline amos

+Info

Re: Site Logo
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 07:01:54 PM »
That does make sense  :-[  I kept thinking about pie. I really like pie.

The "Pi" sign though, with the fish swimming through, or even superimposed over the top would be effective - and thinking ahead to printing/laser engraving etc - very easy to achieve.

Sounds sensible. Something like this? (Draft only)

- Amos

Offline smudge

+Info

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 07:21:36 PM »
Perhaps bigger pi smallest fish

Offline cio74

• Administrator

+Info

Offline matt20687

• Administrator

+Info

• Control your aquarium with a ReefPi!!
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 08:19:01 PM »
I personally think we should keep it away from being 'cartoony', just my opinion.

More opinions would be great so Amos can tweak as necessary (that's if required).
You want more pie? Have some ReefPi!!!
--------------
Matt

Offline matt20687

• Administrator

+Info

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 08:21:16 PM »

Hmm.. I like the sizing, I do not think you don't really want any dominance in the logo. They need to merge with each other really to keep it looking sleek.
--------------
Matt

Offline smudge

+Info

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 08:24:01 PM »
I didn't mean a lot bigger/smaller just a bit

Offline promazine

• Administrator

+Info

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 08:27:56 PM »
It either needs to be totally tongue in cheek, or totally serious.
After the suggestion of the Pi symbol being used, and seeing the first draft - I kinda like it, more so than i thought i would.

just a couple of ideas to throw into the mix - how about having the Pi symbol in the background, i dunno, maybe at 50% opacity, with a black & white clownfish straight over the top, like the one below:

Ive seen some better versions of that idea about - but for the life of me cant find it now lol - but i'm sure you get the idea.

I do like the idea of the fish swimming through though - maybe some different clownfish images to play with would help?
Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank......

Offline smudge

+Info

Offline promazine

• Administrator

+Info

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 08:41:02 PM »
Yeah like that :)

Offline promazine

• Administrator

+Info

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 08:43:08 PM »
Is everyone set on the clownfish idea?

How about this, with a semi transparent Pi sign placed over the top?

Offline Bigguy

• Administrator

+Info

• Large Fat and Ugley
    • ReefPI
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 08:49:18 PM »
why a fish at all
Why Not The PI its self in a reef setting ?

Just a thought :)

Offline smudge

+Info

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 08:50:53 PM »
why a fish at all

Just a thought :)

Like an old underwater ruin?

Offline promazine

• Administrator

+Info

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2014, 09:00:28 PM »
Like this kind of thing....

Maybe scrap just the Pi sign idea and just have "Reef π.net written pretty much exactly where the shutterstock text is?

only issue with using a full reef pic, is that when it comes to laser engraving that whole image onto something it will look shite lol

Suppose if we did go with something like that, all i'd laser onto things is "Reef π.net"

(obviously we would use a much nicer Pi symbol than the one in the win7 character map lol)

Offline matt20687

• Administrator

+Info

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 09:12:17 PM »
Hello All,

I know its good to bounce ideas and all that but lets just see what Amos can create out of the comments we already have. I like the clownfish/pi idea, the play on words is great. The project itself is not really aimed at children so lets keep it sleek and professional and make the forum, project, website completely credible to our name!

Anyways, we have lots and lots to sort out other than the logo (the theme that we have not made a decission on being a big one!), Amos has a lot of information to go from already so lets let him provide his comments seeing he is the one doing the designing etc ;)

Matt

--------------
Matt

Offline amos

+Info

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2014, 09:51:07 PM »
Quite a broad swathe of ideas suggested!

As a prefix to my responses, here's a non-exhaustive list of factors I'd always aim for in a logo:

• Scalability: the logo should be clear and recognisable at any size, whether a small thumbnail like a favicon or a large image in a page header.
  • Simplicity: it's important not to make the logo so complex that it can't be used in any possible format. Ideally it should be possible to boil the logo down to black-and-white and have it still be completely recognisable. This is the point at which we should be sure to divorce the idea of a logo and the idea of a site header. Using graphics on web pages is one thing, tying a complex graphic to the branding is a dangerous idea.
  • Memorability: a user who sees the logo just once should be able to clearly describe it. If they can do so, they'll remember the logo, and brand recognition is important.

With that in mind, some specific responses:

I can do that, but I'm worried that, with the relative complexity of the fish, a smaller fish at this size would be too small if the logo was smaller. I understand this makes it more reminiscent of anemones and reefs, though - certainly not a bad idea.
How about a cartoon style approach
Honestly, I don't think this will represent you especially well. A cartoony image can make the brand seem puerile. Do you have examples of well-known cartoony logos?
It either needs to be totally tongue in cheek, or totally serious.
I agree completely.
just a couple of ideas to throw into the mix - how about having the Pi symbol in the background, i dunno, maybe at 50% opacity, with a black & white clownfish straight over the top
See my point on simplicity above. Playing with opacity and faded images makes the logo very hard to boil down.
I do like the idea of the fish swimming through though - maybe some different clownfish images to play with would help?
Slight problem with this. The clown-fish image is made from scratch, so it'd take a lot of work to create a handful of different images just for the sake of choice. I'd suggest instead that if the image I've created doesn't fit what you'd hoped for, we ensure we're settled on a source image and I'll revisit the work I've done.
Is everyone set on the clownfish idea?
How about this, with a semi transparent Pi sign placed over the top?
This causes a simplicity and scalability issue. This won't look good in an email signature of document footer, and it won't print well from an average household inkjet.
why a fish at all
Seems a little dangerous to give any kind of suggestion that the Raspberry Pi itself belongs underwater! 'Reef setting' could be hard to achieve in a simple manner, and it it were a complex picture it'd fail the 'memorability' test.
Maybe scrap just the Pi sign idea and just have "Reef π.net written pretty much exactly where the shutterstock text is?
It's worth me mentioning that I haven't tackled the text at all yet. I'd suggest not using a π symbol when representing the web address, as it could cause confusion.
only issue with using a full reef pic, is that when it comes to laser engraving that whole image onto something it will look shite lol
Hadn't even thought about engraving, but you raise a valid point. My advice is to not ever diverge your logo into multiple forms. Always keep the same single image as a consistent identity.

So all said, here's my suggestion for any further brainstorming:
Keep it simple.
I'll keep an eye on this thread for a while longer before doing any further work.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:01:20 PM by amos »
- Amos